October 25, 2012

Bannock

Bannock, another contender in the Oliver & Bonacini restaurant chains. Bannock is serving comfort Canadian food to the shopping patrons inside the Bay located at Dundas/Yonge.


The HBC


Mixed Berry Juice

Mighty Canuck
I don't know how to begin with this dish. The texture was bleh, doughy and fishy. For some reason, I was hoping for a cripsy exterior but it was the opposite. The salt cod donuts were below average for me.
salt cod donuts 10

I haven't had much chicken pot pies in my lifetime and the only ones I had were the ones from the frozen aisle in your local grocery store. To my suprise, this turned out to be my favorite dish of the night. The pie crust was flaky and creamy chicken inside was just so comforting. However, I did not care much for the mash potatoes as I was already very full.

arcadian court chicken pot pie 16
The reason we went to Bannock is because one of my friends was craving for the EPIC duck poutine pizza he had here once. This pizza turned out to be a huge disappointment. The servers told us that there were only a few that finished this pizza by themselves and we made no attempts to try to join that list of people. The crust was burnt, the fries were hard, and I barely tasted any duck meat. All together, this pizza was a disaster. Once it became cold, you just wouldn't want to touch it anymore. Of course, we were not able to finish this, and guess what happened... we packed it and gave it to a homeless person.

roast duck poutine 16

This was not a bad dish, but it wasn't great either. I remember the taste of this dish was very barbeque-y. However, I did enjoy the pairing with pear puree as it brought a touch of sweetness.
onion glazed pork shoulder 18
I would not return to Bannock as once is enough for me.


Final Verdict: Par

Bannock on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Eww .. that duck poutine pizza looks like a disaster. :(
    Thanks for your sacrifice -- definitely don't feel a need to check this place out. Sad that their salt cod fritters weren't even crispy. Ew! You've had proper Portugese salt cod fritters before? I'm guessing they were going for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolinhos_de_Bacalhau or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacala%C3%ADto but failed miserably :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried their entire menu but from experience, only their mac & cheese and bannock are about par. The rest of the menu is below par at their price level.

    And yep, I was fooled by the rave reviews of that duck poutine pizza as well and had the same disappointment. What duck?

    ReplyDelete