January 30, 2013

Winterlicious 2013 @ Corner House Restaurant (Dinner)

Corner House was on my licious list for the past 2 years and this year I can finally cross it off. The houses looked kind of creepy from the outside with the snow. I think it will be very sceneric during the summer time. I heard it used to be a doctor's office. For you reference, they had a note on the door saying, all parties must arrive before being seated. This was a $35 dinner. They have extended their winterlicious special up until mid March if I'm not wrong.



complimentary bread, the bread dip was really good.
This was a nice start to the meal, however, I found the vinaigrette to be on the sweeter side. As for the baked goat cheese, it had a grainy texture which I'm indifferent about.
Baked Woolwich Goat Cheese
Stewed Dried Fruits, Vine Tomatoes, Crostini & Balsamic Vinaigrette
The venision meat was tender and you can definitely taste the red wine. The red wine sauce alone was too much for me but blending it with berry chutney balanced it out. It was my first time having spaetzel so I wasn't sure what to expect. The roasted vegetables (carrots) was delcious, really sweet with the right amount of crunch without being too raw. The dish was nicely done. I found all their savory dishes to be on the sweet side.

Slow Cooked Red Wine & Juniper Berry Venison Stew
Spaetzle, Roasted Vegetables, Brussel Sprouts, Chutney of Lingonberry & Cranberry
Now on to the disappointment. I was on the verge of believing I can finally have a perfect meal during Winterlicious but I was wrong. The meal had to end on a sour note. The desserts was a huge disappointment. Not just my dessert, but ALL the desserts. I ordered the sticky toffee pudding to compare with Starfish and Canoe. There was no comparison. This was a toffee MUFFIN. It was literally shaped like a muffin and tasted like a muffin. It was dry and just not toffee pudding like. Bad bad bad. But that little bit of icecream was good.
Sticky Toffee Pudding
Praline Ice Cream & Butter Rum Sauce
it's a muffin and NOT pudding

What others ordered...

Butternut Squash Soup
Wild Rice & Cranberry Relish

Organic Arugula Salad
Candied Walnuts, Gorgonzola Cheese, Crisp Pear & Cider Vinaigrette
-- same vinaigrette as the baked goat cheese

Seared Spring Hill Organic Rainbow Trout
Smoked bacon, Field Mushrooms, Sautéed Potatoes, Leaf Spinach Watercress, Chervil & Mustard Sauce

Whole Roasted Black Angus Striploin
Fingerling Potatoes, Crimini Mushrooms, Caramelized Onions, Barolo Red Wine Sauce
-- the sauce was really good


Belgian Chocolate Torte
Crème Fraiche
-- too bitter

Warm Jasmine Rice Pudding
Passion Fruit & Caramelized Coconut
-- rice was still hard

Final Verdict: Par (downgraded from slightly above par due to dissatisfaction with dessert)


Corner House on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. This place looks incredible! I have wanted to start my own restaurant for the longest time. I have the location picked out, but what I find to be one of the hardest elements of starting a restaurant is the gathering of restaurant supply in nj.

    ReplyDelete