January 28, 2013

Winterlicious 2013 @ Jump (Lunch)

Jump is one of the two O&B restaurant chain restaurants left I have yet been to. Took advantage of Winterlicious event to cross it off my list. Made reservation for lunch on the first day of Winterlicious for 11:45am, just right before the busy lunch crowd. It was only 5mins walk from my work place so it was really convenient. For $20 per person excluding tax and tip, you get a 3 course lunch meal. 

Honestly speaking, I had ZERO expectation for Jump because I heard the many not-so-great review for their any-licious menus. Even then, I still had to try it just for the sake of it, and surprisingly it turned out better than I thought. Everything was decent/good. I do suggest going for lunch instead of dinner because you practically get the same menu items only with a few changes. 


peace, just 10 mins before the crowd poured in
At first the pita chip was kind of boring and bland even with the marinara sauce. But after awhile, the taste gets to you and you would want to nibble on it more. Either the taste grows on you or I was just hungry. 
complimentary bread and pita chip? with marinara sauce
This crab cake was HUGE. It was literally between the size of a baseball and thicker than a hockey puck. There was way too much tartar sauce so I just scrapped off the excess. The crab cake turned out to be pretty good. Only downfall was that the outside could of been crispier.
Peekytoe Crab Cakeceleriac, citrus and dill pickle tartar sauce
The short rib was tender and the gnocchi was potatoey. It was quiet filling and you definitely cannot finish the whole plate alone. I shared with RY. The dish had good flavour and not salty for my tastebuds. I have low sodium tolerance.
Simmered Short Rib Ragu & Yukon Potato Gnocchi
pine nut pesto and Pecorino
RY ordered the salmon filet. The salmon was overcooked around the edges but tender near the center. Perhaps a unified cut would prevent this from happening. The red cabbage on the bottom was way too overcooked and the texture was super soft. It did not go well with salmon as there was no difference in texture. The salmon was seasoned fine just not cooked to perfection.
Broiled Atlantic Salmon Filet
mulled red cabbage, ginger and fennel salad
The carrot cake it self was not moist enough but the cream-cheese frosting had the right amount of sweetness. The orange apple compote tasted just like apple sauce. I think my carrot cake is better.
Carrot Cake
cream cheese buttercream and orange apple compote
The milk chocolate panna cotta was light and delicious. Tasted like chocolate mousse with just the right amount of sweetness. A nice end to the meal. Now I'm gonna go make my own =)
Milk Chocolate Panna Cotta
cinnamon Chantilly
Going into Jump with no expectation, I surprisingly enjoyed my lunch here. Overall everything was good, nothing tasted bad.  I believe this was partially due to the fact that it was the first day of Winterlicious and the chef have yet to feel exhausted and slacked off. The service was fast, you can definitely fit it in your 1 hr lunch break.


Final Verdict: Par

Jump on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, you really lucked out at Jump! All your dish selections turned out pretty good.
    I find the venue itself a mixed bag - very high ceilings with lots of natural light, but also it gets really really noisy with the sound bouncing around.
    Have you managed to make your own milk chocolate panna cotta yet? actually hmm -- what's your ranking between dark, milk, and white chocolates?
    I guess the benefit of Winterlicious is that even if the meal turns out to be very mediocre, at least you paid a reasonable price for it. Glad it turned out not-terrible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. milk chocolate
      2. white chocolate
      3. dark chocolate (dont like bitter things)

      My milk chocolate panna cotta turned out to be too jello-y. Too much gelatin X_X it's actually really easy to make.

      Delete