November 22, 2012

Afternoon Tea @ The King Edward Hotel's Victoria Restaurant

As an early birthday celebration, I was able to enjoy an afternoon of catching up with my close friends while savoring an array of tea sandwiches and pastries at the The King Edward Hotel. Afternoon tea is offered by the Victoria Restaurant.

A very elegant grand hall with high ceilings and ornate moldings. 

We all selected the King's Tea ($35/person) and comes with the below. As for the menu below, I wasn't sure if we got everything on that list. If my taste-buds were correct, there might have been replacements for some items.



Finger Sandwiches
Lightly Curried Chicken with Mango Chutney
Egg Salad and Arugula
Roast Beef with Watercress and Peppered Horseradish 
Duo of Smoked Salmon and Lemon Dill Shrimp
Thinly Sliced Cucumber and Radish with Cream Cheese
Selection of Delicate Pastries

Summer Muddled Berry Pudding
“Millionaires” Shortbread with Salt Caramel and Chocolate
Wild Blueberry and Lemon Bakewell Tart
Floral Earl Grey Infused Madeleines

Traditional Scones with Currants
Served with Imported Devonshire Cream
And Strawberry Preserves

Your choice of premium tea from our humidor




First tier of petite fours
According to the menu, we were suppose to get the below;

Summer Muddled Berry Pudding ??? I think we got the shot glass of coffee chocolate mousse with pistachio biscotti instead. 
“Millionaires” Shortbread with Salt Caramel and Chocolate ??? No where to be found...
Wild Blueberry and Lemon Bakewell Tart - Did not taste the lemon. The filling of the tart looked like blueberry muffin and tasted like one too. 
Floral Earl Grey Infused Madeleines - No taste of earl grey either.

I think my description of the petite fours sounded a little bitter, but I'm just giving my honest opinion. Nothing was terribly bad, nor was it good. No matter how much I did not get the "Wild Blueberry and Lemon Bakewell Tart" execution, I would say it was my favorite. ***Due to my lack of knowledge on bakewell tarts, I did some research and the center is suppose to be like that, ops~***

Currant scones
King Edward is rumored to have the best scones in town. As a scone lover, it disappointed BIG TIME. They were not flaky or crumb like as scones should be, but they were a doughy bread consistency. They were good as bread, but not as scone. Windsor Arms wins for best scones.

Bottom tier of finger sandwiches
As for the finger sandwiches, nothing stood out and all the varieties were meh.

All in all, I do like the environment but the food did not do the elegant environment justice. Ritz Carlton wins for best dessert selection and overall food palate. Windsor Arms wins for fancy settings and tender scones. Kind Edwards wins... awesome moldings on the wall!

Final Verdict: Par

No comments:

Post a Comment